Spring is here, so why pass up any opportunity to add fresh spring veggies to your next Sunday dinner?
This Sunday dinner recipe for lemon chicken and spring veggie rice bowls is bound to put a smile on your face and a bounce in your step. How could it not? The spring season welcomes back the fresh veggies you've longed for all winter.
This is a quick and simple yet flavorful dish to serve the family. Bright both in color and flavor, you'll love the green asparagus and red radishes tossed into the mix. The lemon sauce that coats each bite of this dish is vibrant and fresh.
This dish is so tasty you probably won't have leftovers, but if you do, then it makes a great next-day lunch, served cold or warm.
Lemon chicken and spring veggie rice bowls recipe
- 2-1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded evenly, about a 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1 bunch (about a pound) asparagus, ends trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6-8 radishes, greens trimmed, sliced into thin rounds
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds (optional)
- Salt and pepper to season the chicken
- Place the cooked brown rice in a large bowl, and keep it slightly warm. Set it aside.
- Season the chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. When hot, add the chicken, and cook for about 14 to 16 minutes, turning halfway through or until done. According to the FDA, a safe internal temperature for chicken is 165 degrees F, as measured by a meat thermometer.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet, and place it on a clean cutting board. Slice the chicken into thin, 3-inch-long pieces. Set it aside.
- Use the same skillet you used to cook the chicken, and set the heat to medium-high. Add the chicken broth to the skillet, and bring it to a boil.
- Add the lemon juice, zest, garlic and ginger, and continue to boil and stir the mixture. Add the asparagus, and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the radishes and chicken to the mixture, and toss to coat with the liquid. Remove from heat.
- Add the chicken-and-vegetable mixture to the bowl with the rice. Toss to combine. Spoon any remaining liquid over the mixture.
- Divide evenly, sprinkle with sesame seeds, if using, and serve warm.
This fresh and colorful dish will bowl you over.
More Sunday dinner recipes
Asparagus and bacon-topped flatbread
Creamy salmon fettuccine
Pork lo mein