Ever wonder how to make the perfect biscuit? Here I share my grandmother's recipe for this Southern family favorite.
Growing up in the South with my grandmother, I gained a lot of knowledge in the kitchen. My grandmother was born and raised in the South and every Sunday would bake a huge tray of buttermilk biscuits for our family to enjoy with breakfast.
The great thing about this recipe is that you don't have to use it just for biscuits. My grandmother used this same biscuit recipe for the dumplings in her chicken and dumplings dish, as a topping for casseroles and even for shortcakes. Once you make this homemade version, you will never buy the boxed mixes again.
Southern-style buttermilk biscuit recipe
- 5 cups bread flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup very cold butter, diced (try to use the best quality butter you can find)
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk, very cold (try to use the best quality buttermilk you can find)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, and set it aside.
- Over a large bowl, add the flour, baking powder and sea salt to a sifter. Sift the ingredients together so there are no lumps and the flour is nice and fluffy.
- To the sifted flour, add the butter, and using your hands, blend the butter into the flour. You will notice small lumps of butter throughout the dough; this is normal.
- Make a small hole in the center of the flour mixture, and pour in the cold buttermilk. Continue to mix with your hands until a soft, sticky dough has formed. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, and roll it out to about 1 inch in thickness.
- Using a round biscuit cutter or cookie cutter, cut out the biscuits. Place them on the baking sheet, and bake about 10 to 15 minutes or until the tops are slightly golden brown. (You do not want to overbake.)
- Remove the biscuits from the oven, and brush the tops with the melted butter. Serve alongside your favorite breakfast or with fresh jam.
My grandmother used to tell me it was very important to use very cold buttermilk and very cold butter in her biscuit recipe. Doing this helps give the biscuits their fluffy, flaky texture.
More Southern recipes
Southern-style black eyed peas
Southern-style collard greens
Southern chili corn bread