Turn the flavors of a traditional salad into a fab Meatless Monday pasta dish. You’ll enjoy fresh flavors to twirl up with your favorite spaghetti.
We all know how tasty and refreshing a caprese salad can be. I took the ingredients of this traditional salad and turned it into a hearty meal with my Meatless Monday recipe for creamy caprese spaghetti.
Sometimes the simplest ingredients make the most delightful dishes. That's how I feel about a caprese salad. Don't you just love them? So why not take the classic flavors of tomatoes, mozzarella and basil and turn them into a simple spaghetti dish that will delight? The rose-colored sauce is creamy and rich (I could eat it by itself with a spoon), and it's easy to make.
Creamy caprese spaghetti recipe
- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce
- 5-6 ounces (or about 1/2 container) cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4-6 ounces mini mozzarella balls, cut into quarters
- 4 large basil leaves, torn, plus extra for garnish
- Cook the spaghetti according to the package directions and drain when finished.
- When there is about 5 minutes left to cook the spaghetti, add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat.
- When hot, add the onions and cook for about a minute. Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, stirring.
- Add the tomato sauce to the skillet along with the cherry tomatoes. Season with the salt and black pepper, and stir. Lower the heat to medium-low.
- Add the heavy cream and mix to combine. Add the 2 tablespoons of shredded mozzarella cheese and stir until melted.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and toss in the cooked spaghetti, the mozzarella pieces and the torn basil. Toss to combine so the spaghetti is well coated.
- The mozzarella pieces will begin to melt slightly in the warm sauce and spaghetti.
- Serve immediately and top with additional basil if desired.
Twirl up a fab pasta dish.
More Meatless Monday recipes
Zucchini & corn quesadillas with spicy homemade salsa
Cheesy broccoli & cauliflower bake
Ramen noodles with tempeh and spicy peanut sauce