Make the side dish the star of your next Meatless Monday meal. This baked casserole-type recipe is overflowing with hearty veggies to complete your meal.
This recipe for cheesy broccoli and cauliflower bake is perfect for a Meatless Monday side dish. This is really simple to toss together, the veggies have a nice crunch to them and they are covered in Swiss cheese.
What's good about this dish is that you'll serve up a double whammy of veggies by combining broccoli with cauliflower. Portion this out with a filling salad or a hearty soup for a complete meal.
Cheesy broccoli & cauliflower bake recipe
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light
- 2 cups rough-chopped broccoli
- 2 cups rough-chopped cauliflower
- 1/4 cup diced red pepper, seeds and membrane removed
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2/3 cup grated Swiss cheese
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 9-inch baking dish with the nonstick cooking spray and set it aside.
- Add the butter to a saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk in the flour, a little at a time, until it is incorporated (it will be thick). Stir for about 3 minutes (be sure not to let it burn).
- Increase the heat to medium and whisk in the milk, a little at a time, until incorporated. Add the vegetable broth, and stir, cooking for several minutes.
- Stir in the salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes and oregano. Remove from the heat and add the Swiss cheese. Stir until it melts.
- Add the broccoli, cauliflower and red peppers to the mixture and stir to coat. Transfer to the baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs and the Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle the mixture over the broccoli-cauliflower mixture. Lightly spray the top with the nonstick spray.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the ingredients begin to bubble and the top is lightly golden.
- Allow to cool slightly, and serve warm.
Serve a side dish that will be the star of your next meal.
More Meatless Monday recipes
Zucchini & corn quesadillas with spicy homemade salsa
Ramen noodles with tempeh and spicy peanut sauce
Curried sweet potato, green bean and tortellini soup