Pile on the layers to create a fun and tasty gluten-free dish to serve during the busy week or for a Saturday lunch when you’re sitting around. Stack your ingredients and bake away for a satisfying meal.
When I think lasagna, I have visions of a favorite Italian meal, but switch up things with this recipe for gluten-free Mexican "lasagna." It will take your meal south of the border.
Using corn tortillas in place of lasagna noodles gives this dish a different perspective. Add your favorite beans (I used black beans, but pinto, white beans or even refried beans would work well), some diced up veggies and a few handfuls of cheese, and you've got a twist on a favorite Italian meal.
If you have a crowd to feed, double the recipe (using the same process, but in two pans) and your worries are over. This is an easy meal to put together, and it makes a colorful presentation.
Gluten can be found in many different foods and products, from ketchup to soy sauce to candy and seasonings. While SheKnows.com tries to ensure these recipes are gluten-free, carefully read the ingredient labels of all food and food products you use for these recipes to ensure they are also gluten-free.
Gluten-free Mexican "lasagna" recipe
- 1-1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeds and membrane removed, diced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 (15 ounce) can favorite beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika (more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 (6 inch) gluten-free corn tortillas
- 1 cup water
- 6 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Salsa and sour cream for garnish (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with the cooking spray and set aside.
- Add the oil to a skillet over medium heat. When hot, add the onion and cook for about 3 minutes or until they begin to soften.
- Add the bell pepper to the skillet and cook for about a minute, then add the corn, beans, green chilies, chili powder, smoked paprika, oregano, salt and ground black pepper. Stir to combine, and cook for about a minute, then remove the skillet from the heat.
- Add 2 tortillas, side-by-side, to the baking pan. Scoop about 1/3 of the veggie and bean mixture onto each tortilla, along with 1/3 of the cheese. Top each with another tortilla and repeat the process twice, with the veggie and bean mixture being the last layer.
- Carefully add 1 cup of water to the pan. Don't pour it over the tortillas, but around the bottom and sides of the pan. This will help keep the tortillas moist as they cook.
- Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil, and bake for 30-35 minutes. You may want to remove the foil and cook this way for the last 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow the tortillas to cool slightly. Transfer to a cutting board and cut each "lasagna" tower into 4 wedges.
- Serve warm with salsa and sour cream as garnish.
Layer on the flavors for this dish.
More gluten-free recipes
Chicken soup with bacon, Brussels sprouts & beans
Banana squares with banana-cream frosting
Cheesy polenta squares