We took this vintage classic and gave it some spice. You're going to love this twist.
Meatloaf is one of my favorite meals. It's great fresh out of the oven and even better as a leftover sandwich. I took this classic dish and gave it a spicy Cajun twist. I added in diced chorizo sausage and just a dash or two of Tabasco sauce. If you are not a big fan of heat, you can definitely leave out the hot sauce. But, trust me, it's delicious.
Cajun meatloaf recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced peppers
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-1/2 pounds ground meatloaf mix
- 1/2 pound chorizo sausage, casing removed and minced
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 5 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 3 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- In a large skillet set over medium heat, add olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add in pepper, onions and garlic. Sauté until soft. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with foil.
- In a large bowl, add ground meatloaf mix, minced chorizo sausage, eggs, breadcrumbs, ketchup, milk, paprika, cumin, chipotle chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce and cooled sautéed vegetables.
- Using your hands, mix together the meat mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Divide into 6 equal loaves and shape into small ovals.
- Add to the foil-lined baking sheet and bake for about 40 minutes until firm.
- While the meatloaf bakes mix together 3/4 cup ketchup and brown sugar.
- Remove from the oven and slather the top of each meatloaf with equal amounts of ketchup/brown sugar mixture.
- Add back to the oven and bake for another 10-15 minutes until the topping is slightly sticky.
Chorizo is generally sold as a somewhat solid sausage. That is why it is recommended to be minced. If you can find it fresh, simply remove from the casing and mix in with the meat.
More meatloaf recipes
Individual vegetable packed meatloaf
Mini bacon-wrapped meatloaves