Half pizza, half pita, this quick and easy dinner is a crowd pleaser.
I try to keep pizza dough on hand at all times. It's the perfect "in a pinch" meal, and you can almost always dig up something out of the fridge to top it with. But, there are definitely crazy busy days when I don't even have the foresight to defrost the pizza dough a few hours in advance. Enter pita bread.
It's perfect for a quick pizza-like meal. For this version, I did a steak stir-fry that's topped with a pepper jack/mozzarella mix to spice up things. Naan bread works really well for this too and can usually be found in the same area as the pitas.
Spicy steak pitza recipe
- 4 pitas or naan bread
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 large yellow onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 3/4 pound stir-fry beef
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper
- 8 ounces pepper jack cheese, grated
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and peppers and cook for about 5 minutes until they start to soften.
- Toss the beef with the spices in a bowl.
- Add the beef to the skillet and cook for another 2-3 minutes until browned.
- Sprinkle half the cheese on top of the pita bread.
- Place the beef and onion mixture on top of the cheese and then sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Bake in the oven for about 5 minutes until the pita bread crisps up around the edges and the cheese melts.
More pizza recipes
Buffalo chicken cauliflower pizza
Potato rosemary pizza