A healthy and unique way to prepare chicken, served with a fresh, fruity salad!
Chicken recipes can get mundane... this recipe incorporates ingredients you wouldn't normally think to add to chicken such as cinnamon, yogurt and ground cloves. The combination of herbs and spices in the marinade gives the chicken a unique and robust flavor. Serve with a spring fruit salad for the ultimate healthy dinner!
There are several different ways to prepare chicken shawarma. It is typically grilled slowly on a spit for up to a day. This recipe is my simpler adaptation of traditional chicken shawarma.
Tip: Facts Up Front has created a label to make sure you're getting nutritional bang for your calorie buck. You can find it on the front of most packaged foods, outlining per-serving calories, fat, salt, and more.
Chicken shawarma is typically served with lettuce, tomato, cucumber and a yogurt sauce wrapped in flat bread or pita bread. I added shredded mozzarella cheese for extra flavor.
Do yourself a favor and experience the powerful flavors of this unique chicken dish!
Chicken shawarma and spring fruit salad recipe
Adapted from BudgetBytes.com
For the chicken and marinade
- 2 large chicken breasts, sliced into thin strips
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
For the yogurt sauce topping
- 7 ounces plain yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon dill
For the sandwich
- 4 slices flat bread or pita bread
- 2 cups lettuce
- 1 large cucumber, sliced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
For the spring fruit salad
- 3 cups baby arugula
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup fresh sliced strawberries
- 1/2 cup peeled and diced mango
For the spring fruit salad dressing
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
For the chicken shawarma
- Place ingredients for marinade in a small bowl and combine. Add chicken and coat with marinade. Cover and allow to marinate 4 to 24 hours, refrigerated.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken strips and sauté for 6-8 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink, turning twice. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Prepare yogurt sauce by combining yogurt sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Assemble by placing chicken strips on top of flat bread (or pita bread) slices. Layer evenly with lettuce, tomato, cucumber and shredded cheese. Top with yogurt sauce and roll the sandwich closed. Secure with a toothpick or wrap in aluminum foil to hold the sandwich together.
For the spring fruit salad
- In a small bowl, combine dressing ingredients by whisking until incorporated.
- In a large bowl, toss arugula, blueberries, strawberries and mango. Drizzle with dressing.
Although we think the nutrition labeling system is great, we were paid to mention Facts Up Front in this article.
More chicken recipes
Parmesan garlic baked chicken wings
Spicy Southwest cheesy chicken bake