Where Crispy, Gooey And Spicy Meet
Time for a snack? Try this two-bite, tasty treat that is gooey, crispy and a bit spicy. These make great appetizers or a fun snack, and they're easy to make, too.
Most mozzarella sticks are fried and who needs that? This Meatless Monday recipe for cheese sticks with a kick are wrapped in wontons with some spicy peppers tucked inside, then baked.
One bite and you'll discover a little surprise: a crisp outside layer, then the gooey cheese enhanced by the bits of pepperoncini inside. Who could ask for a better snack? If you don't want a spicy bite, consider using diced olives instead of the pepperoncini. I think you'll like these better than the deep-fried version you find in most restaurants.
Cheese sticks with a kick recipe
- 6 mozzarella sticks, cut in half
- 12 small wonton wrappers
- 1/4 cup diced prepared pepperoncini, drained, seeds and stem removed
- 1/4 cup warm water
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Marinara sauce for dipping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Add parchment paper to a baking sheet and set aside.
- Place the wonton wrappers in front of you. You'll work with one at a time and keep the others covered with a damp paper towel until you're ready to use them.
- Place the wrapper on a flat surface with the tips forming a diamond.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of the chopped pepperoncini to the center of the wonton wrapper. Add a piece of mozzarella over the pepperoncini, horizontally.
- Fold the top tip of the wrapper down over the mozzarella piece. Dip your finger in the warm water and moisten the bottom tip of the wrapper. Fold it up over the top part of the wrapper and press down lightly to seal the wrapper together.
- Dip your finger in the water again, and moisten the left side of the wrapper. Fold it to the center and press down lightly to seal. Do the same for the right side.
- If there are any edges that are not sealed closed, use a bit of the water to help seal the openings.
- Place each wrapped stick on the baking sheet, seam side down. Lightly spray the tops with the cooking spray.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Remove and serve warm with marinara sauce for dipping.
These baked treats make a great appetizer or snack!
More Meatless Monday recipes
Roasted butternut squash and farro salad with orange-maple vinaigrette
Curried sweet potato, green bean and tortellini soup
Quick & easy tofu and veggie lettuce wraps