A noodleless lasagna is a great way to get all the comfort of the cheesy meal without any of the grains.
My Italian family might disown me for this noodleless lasagna recipe, but, let's be honest, noodles can be a pain. You have to cook them gently, being careful not to break any, not cook them fully because they bake again in the oven and let's not forget the slippery glutenous mess they become while handling. This zucchini version is a much easier approach with one less pot to clean (hooray), and you get the added benefit of going grain free without any loss of comfort (hello, cheese).
Grain-free zucchini lasagna recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 large zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons basil, chopped
- 16 ounces ricotta
- Salt and pepper
- 8 ounces grated mozzarella
- 12 ounces favorite jarred tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lay the zucchini slices out in a single layer and sprinkle salt evenly over them. Let them sit for 15 minutes so some of their water starts to come out and blot it up with a paper towel.
- Brown beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drain any excess fat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the ricotta, egg, shallot, basil and Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper to taste and mix together.
- In a 9 x 9-inch baking dish, spoon enough sauce to lightly cover the bottom.
- Lay the zucchini slices down, slightly overlapping each one on top of the sauce.
- On top of the zucchini, layer the ricotta, beef and mozzarella in that order for two layers.
- On the last layer, spoon the remainder of the sauce, ricotta and mozzarella over the zucchini.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 50 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let sit a few minutes to set, garnish with additional basil and serve.
More lasagna recipes
Italian lasagna soup
Mushroom lasagna recipe
Ravioli lasagna recipe