Tofu is sautéed until slightly crispy then tossed in a sweet and spicy Asian sauce. Serve over steamed veggies for a simple healthy dinner.
We are big fans of Asian cuisine in our home but eating take-out regularly can get costly. Here I took one of my favorite dishes, General Tso's chicken, and transformed it into a vegetarian option by sautéing rather than deep-frying the tofu. I like things on the spicy side but if you are not a spice lover just cut back on the spices. This is great for keeping things healthy at the dinner table as well as saving cash by cooking at home.
General Tso's tofu recipe
For General Tso's sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons agave, honey or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha sauce (omit if you don't want the sauce spicy)
For the tofu
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 package extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed well to remove extra moisture
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- Sliced green onions, for garnish
- 2 cups steamed broccoli
- 2 cups cooked quinoa, white or brown rice
- Cut the tofu into cubes and add to a bowl. Add in the 2 tablespoons cornstarch and soy sauce and toss well with your hands. Let marinate 30-60 minutes on the counter. (This will allow the tofu to absorb the soy sauce flavor.)
- In a separate bowl combine all of the ingredients for the sauce mixing well.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat add the sesame oil along with the cubed tofu. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until brown on all sides. Remove from the pan and place on a plate lined with paper towels.
- In the same pan, add the sauce and cook until thickened. Add the tofu back to the pan and gently mix to coat all of the tofu.
- Divide the broccoli and the rice between 4 serving plates and spoon the tofu over the top. Serve immediately.
More recipes using tofu
Spicy lemongrass tofu
Crispy panko tofu bites
Tofu banh mi sandwiches