This dish is a vegetarian's Taco Tuesday dream come true. Fresh sautéed mushrooms piled high on a fresh tortilla and smothered in a homemade spicy sauce. Hello delicious.
I'm normally a meat in my tacos kind of girl. However, after I made this recipe I realized that meat doesn't always have to be the star of the show. These tacos are packed full of sautéed mushrooms, onions and peppers. I kept the seasoning on the vegetables minimal because there is a lot of flavor from the avocado sauce and salsa.
Spicy portobello mushroom tacos with avocado sauce recipe
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds sliced portobello mushrooms
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha sauce
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 6 small flour tortillas
- 6 tablespoons hot salsa
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese
- In a large high-sided skillet set over medium heat, add olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add mushrooms, yellow onion, red bell pepper and green bell pepper.
- After the vegetables start to soften, and the mushrooms start releasing their juice, add in garlic and continue cooking until soft.
- When vegetables are cooked, season with salt and pepper.
- While your vegetables are cooking make the avocado sauce.
- In a blender, add ripe avocado, Sriracha and sour cream. Blend until smooth, season with desired salt and pepper.
- Lay out tortillas and spread spicy avocado sauce onto each tortilla.
- Top with 1 tablespoon salsa and 2 tablespoons cheese per tortilla.
- Fill each taco with equal amount of filling and top with extra Sriracha if desired.
More mushroom recipes
Spinach and spicy sausage stuffed mushrooms
Stuffed mushrooms with roasted garlic
Goat cheese and avocado stuffed portobellos