Straight from the warmth of the oven, these breakfast cups are simply great. One bite, and you have all the flavors that you want, including vegetables.
On slow weekend mornings, these bread cups grace our table. They never fail to take away those grumpy morning pouts and start our day right. And guess what? I also get to hide the vegetables inside.
With the ham, gooey cheese and egg, they blend so well that the kids almost don't notice them. This is perfect for our little picky-eaters.
Cheesy ham, egg & zucchini breakfast bread cups recipe
- Olive oil
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 4 bread rolls
- 4 small slices ham
- 1/8 cup quick-melting cheese, diced
- 4 eggs
- Fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Over medium-high heat, in a small saucepan with olive oil, sauté the zucchini until toasted then set aside on a plate.
- Cut the top part of the bread, then make an incision on the sides without penetrating the bottom part. With your fingers, extract the bread in the middle to make a hole in the bread. Leave the bottom part intact.
- Fill up the hole with a small slice of ham, zucchini and cheese. Leave some space for the egg.
- Break the egg on a plate and let it slide into the bread. If the whole egg doesn't fit, don't include the excess egg whites.
- Put the bread baskets on a baking pan.
- In a preheated oven of 400 degrees F, bake between 12 and 15 minutes or until the whites have set. It also depends on how you want your eggs done.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and parsley. Serve immediately.
More breakfast recipes
3 Eggnog-inspired breakfast recipes
Ham, egg and cheese breakfast bread pudding