Apple cakes come in many versions and are always a favorite dessert. We all have our own recipes to make these delicious cakes. Here is an irresistibly good one with the added flavor of pine nuts and yogurt.
Apple pies, apple cakes, practically any dessert with apples disappears fast. Not only are they good, but they are also good for you. Here is a light apple cake that can be enjoyed by the whole family any time of the day, even for breakfast.
Apple and pine nut cake recipe
Yields an 8-inch cake
- 4 medium apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 5 ounces (10 tablespoons) butter, diced and softened (not melted, plus more for rubbing on the baking pan)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar (plus more for sprinkling on top before serving)
- Peel, core and dice 3 of the 4 apples, then mix in the lemon juice.
- In a mixer, mix the butter, sugar, milk, yogurt and eggs.
- Add the flour, baking powder, salt, lemon zest and 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder.
- In a large bowl, mix the batter, pine nuts and apples.
- Pour the mixture in a buttered and floured pan.
- Peel and core the remaining apple. Slice it thinly then place them on top of the cake batter.
- Sprinkle the apples with the 1 tablespoon icing sugar and the remaining cinnamon.
- Bake at a preheated oven of 350 degrees F for 1 hour or until cooked through. Let it cool for a few minutes.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar before serving.
More apple cake recipes
Vegan apple quinoa cake recipe
Spiced apple squares recipe
Apple pie filled cupcake recipe