Casseroles are such an easy way to get dinner on the table. One dish, all your bases covered. This Southwest-inspired chicken casserole is spicy and cheesy. Need to tone down the spice level for the kids? Just leave out the chipotle and use a bit less jalapeño, it'll still be a dinner hit.
Spicy Southwest cheesy chicken bake recipe
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed and minced
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce, chopped (optional for some extra heat)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 cups grated Monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 1 pound cooked and shredded chicken breasts
- Avocado, green onions and/or cilantro, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and peppers and cook for 3-5 minutes until softened.
- Add the flour and cook for about 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the flour and combine with the ingredients in the pan with a spatula. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the chipotle chili, chicken broth and milk. Stir to combine and cook for about 3 minutes until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Add the diced tomatoes and salt and pepper. Stir to combine and turn the heat off.
- In a deep baking dish, spoon in enough of the sauce mixture to coat the bottom.
- Next, layer some of the shredded chicken on top. Top the chicken with a handful of the tortilla chips and then sprinkle some of the cheese over the chips.
- Continue layering in that order until all the ingredients are used up.
- Bake for 20 minutes until bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and top with desired garnishes before serving.
More chicken casserole recipes
Indian chicken casserole
BBQ chicken casserole
Chicken cordon bleu pasta casserole