As far as I'm concerned, one-pan dinners win the "best thing ever created" award. A busy mom's best friend, an easy enough dinner even dad can handle or just a lazy cook's way to eat a homemade meal. This orzo and beef skillet has all the flavor of a Italian baked pasta dish but it's done in about 15 minutes on the stove top; it's a seriously easy meal that's pretty darn good for you, too. Look for whole wheat orzo if you can find it and amp up the nutrition even more.
Orzo beef skillet recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 a large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with their juice
- 1/2 cup chicken or beef broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 8 ounces orzo
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- 4 cups chopped kale or baby spinach
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add beef and onions to the pan and cook until the beef is browned and the onions have softened.
- Add the garlic to the pan and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, water, orzo and seasoning.
- Mix everything together, bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook covered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the orzo is fully cooked.
- Stir in the chopped kale/spinach until wilted.
- Top with the Parmesan cheese and serve.
More orzo recipes
Creamy orzo with asparagus and ham
Orzo stuffed tomato recipe
Orzo risotto with mushrooms and prosciutto