Amped Up Healthy Recipes
I know I'm not the only person who likes to start the new year on a healthier, fresh foot. And the best way to do that is to amp up my favorite recipes with incredibly healthy superfoods. They not only make everything healthier, they add a burst of flavor, too.
I'm one of those weird people who actually loves healthy foods. When I wake up, I don't crave doughnuts, I crave rich smoothies or flaxseed pancakes. But I know I'm in the minority here, so I decided to make recipes that taste and look decadent but are secretly filled with fresh, healthy ingredients. Soon enough you'll be weird like me!
Slow cooker peanut butter and jelly quinoa
Serves about 6-8
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup steel-cut oats
- 2 1/2 cups vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1-1/2 tablespoons raspberry jelly
- Fresh raspberries for garnish
- Mix all of the ingredients (except for the jelly) in the basin of a slow cooker. Cook on low for about 4-1/2 to 6 hours, or until mixture is soft and fully cooked. Stir in the raspberry jelly and fresh raspberries after cooking.
Avocado chocolate milkshake
- 1 ripe avocado, skin removed
- 1 cups chocolate ice cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Place all of the ingredients into a blender and pulse until thick and creamy. Pour into Mason jars and garnish with chocolate chips.
Serves about 4
- 1 (14 ounce) block extra-firm tofu, pressed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 8 soft taco shells
- 1/2 avocado, seeded and chopped
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 teaspoons taco sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Grease a standard baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Chop the tofu into bite-size pieces and place in a shallow bowl. Mix with the olive oil and sprinkle evenly with the taco seasoning. Scatter on the baking dish in even layers and bake for 15 minutes. Break it up with a spatula and bake for another 20 minutes, or until crispy.
- Fill the tortillas evenly with tofu and sprinkle with cilantro, cheese and taco sauce. Add a few chunks of avocado to each and enjoy!
More superfood recipes
Seven superfood recipes with herbs and spices
8 Superfoods to add to your smoothie
6 Superfoods for your heart