Give your tacos an Italian twist with these fun and addicting sausage pizza tacos.
Turn your taco night up a notch. Kids and adults will go crazy over a tray of these sausage pizza tacos. We used a sweet Italian sausage but a spicy sausage would give them a kick.
Sausage pizza taco recipe
Yields 8 tacos
- 8 crispy taco shells (stuff and stand preferred)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh Italian basil, chopped (divided 2/1)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian oregano
- 1-1/2 cups shredded pizza cheese
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Coat a large frying pan with the olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add onions and saute about 3 minutes. Add peppers and continue sauteing another 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are soft but not browned. Remove onions and peppers from the pan and set aside.
- Place sausage into the same frying pan and cook until browned and cooked through, about 6 minutes. Drain off any grease in the pan and then return the onions and green peppers to the pan with the sausage.
- Add pizza sauce, 2 tablespoons of the basil, the garlic powder and the oregano. Stir together well and continue cooking another 3-4 minutes.
- Assemble your taco shells in a pan. Place a little bit of cheese in the bottom of each shell. Spoon sausage pizza mixture into each shell. Top the tacos with the rest of the cheese and bake for 7 minutes. Top with additional 1 tablespoon of basil and serve immediately.
Don't forget to drain the sausage grease from the pan after cooking.
More unique taco recipes
Buffalo chickpea soft tacos with avocado sour cream
Chili orange salmon tacos with avocado coleslaw