I grew up eating mostly meat and potatoes but every once in a while I crave something super healthy. Lucky for me, this big bowl of deliciousness totally fills that craving. It's packed with tricolor quinoa, chicken breast, mixed vegetables and sweet butternut squash. I like to top mine with a little bit of lemon zest to for extra brightness and flavor. If you're craving a healthy dish, make sure to give this one a try!
Chicken, squash and quinoa stir-fry recipe
Adapted from Prevention
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup tricolor quinoa
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup frozen sweet peas
- 1/3 cup frozen sweet corn
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup finely minced cilantro
- 1 cup diced and cooked butternut squash
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lemon, zested
- Add water to a medium pot and set over high heat. Bring the water to a boil and add in quinoa. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until all the liquid has been absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Set a large high-sided skillet over medium heat and add 2 teaspoons olive oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add in chicken. Cook until lightly browned on the outside and the middle of the chicken is no longer pink. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside in a bowl.
- In the same skillet, add the remaining tablespoon of oil. Once the oil is hot, add in onion, red bell pepper, peas, corn, chipotle chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin and cayenne pepper.
- Sauté gently until the vegetables start to soften. Add in garlic, cilantro and butternut squash and cook until just warmed through and the garlic is fragrant.
- Add in chicken and cooked quinoa and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve warm with a little lemon zest on top.
More quinoa recipes
California quinoa salad
Black bean quinoa wrap