Tired of heavy pasta dishes? This plate of pasta will keep you happy, and it's filled with spicy ham, olives and lots of sun-dried tomatoes.
During the week, the rush around my house to make dinner is quite the scene. There are times it's pushing 8 p.m., and dinner is just getting started. This pasta dish is one of those quick-cooking dishes I crave when I'm starving with little time to cook. My grandmother always used to whip up this dish, and she always served it with a small bowl of extra olives. This is exactly the same way I do it. There is always room for more olives, am I right?
Spicy Cappy ham, olive and sun-dried tomato pasta recipe
Slightly adapted from Tartine and Apron Strings
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 pound thin spaghetti
- 3 tablespoons olive oil butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 cup pitted black olives
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Parmesan cheese, to taste
- 1/4 pound sliced Boar's Head Cappy Brand Ham (found in deli)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add kosher salt and pasta. Cook until al dente, following box directions. Once pasta is cooked, drain and toss with a drizzle of olive oil so the pasta does not stick. Set aside while you prepare the sauce.
- In a large high-sided pan over medium heat, add olive oil. Add in garlic and shallots. Cook until fragrant and the shallots start to become translucent. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add in olives and tomatoes, simmer for about 1 minute.
- Pour in white wine, simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Add in butter and let it melt. Stir to combine and toss in pasta.
- Add pasta to a large bowl, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and add slices of Cappy ham.
- Serve hot with a side of olives.
The ham used in this recipe is coated with hot Italian spices. If you can't find this product, substitute any sliced ham and add in red pepper flakes when cooking the shallots. This will ensure your dish has a little kick.
More pasta recipes
Chicken cordon bleu pasta casserole
One-skillet spicy sausage pasta
Taco stuffed shells