This healthy casserole will help keep you in line with your New Year's goals. The good news is that it packs a ton of flavor and is full of healthy ingredients.
Normally, I do not make a lot of quinoa at my house. It's usually only made if I happen to need it in a recipe. However, since I have made this dish, I have been craving quinoa. This dish is packed with flavor and works as a meatless main course or a side dish. If you are looking to add more protein, add grilled cheese or a fried egg.
Southwestern quinoa and mixed bean casserole recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup diced yellow bell pepper
- 1/4 cup diced orange bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup pinto beans
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1 (10 ounce) can Ro-Tel tomatoes
- 2 cups tricolored quinoa, cooked
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Vegetable stock (as needed)
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1 avocado, diced
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9 x 9-inch pan with nonstick spray, set aside.
- Add a large skillet over medium heat and add oil. Once the oil is warmed add in onion, bell peppers and garlic. Saute until slightly soft.
- Add in tomatoes, quinoa, chili powder and cumin. Cook down for a bit until the mixture is damp but not too dry. If it dries out simply add a bit of vegetable stock.
- Add quinoa to prepared pan and top with cheese.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until the cheese is melted and lightly browned.
- Before serving top with diced avocado and chopped cilantro.
If you need to use the vegetable stock simply use a little and store in the fridge. If you would rather not use vegetable stock you can also use water.
More quinoa recipes
Quinoa vegetable fried recipe
Quinoa-crusted chicken recipe
California quinoa salad recipe