On a Meatless Monday, your meals don't have to seem meager. Take this recipe for garlic and mushroom mashed potatoes. By adding meaty mushrooms to the mix, you not only amp up the heartiness in what can otherwise be a bland dish, but you'll find lots of flavor, too.
There are many types of mushrooms to choose from, but I used cremini mushrooms in this recipe. If you're a garlic lover like me, the more the merrier! I used some restraint and held firm with two large cloves, which is just enough to add great taste. This finishing flavor touch to this dish is the fresh thyme — a perfect pairing to the mushrooms.
Garlic and mushroom mashed potatoes
- 1-1/2 pounds Yukon Gold or Russet potatoes, cleaned, peeled and diced large
- 1/2 teaspoon salt for the cooking water
- 2/3 cups milk, plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons butter, plus extra for garnish
- 4 ounces cremini mushrooms, cleaned, stemmed and cut into thin slices
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped thyme leaves
- Add the potatoes to a large pot and cover them with water. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and bring them to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer the potatoes for about 20 minutes, or until done. The potatoes should be soft when you pierce them.
- As the potatoes are cooking, warm the 2/3 cup of milk (don’t bring it to a boil).
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the pan. Use a potato masher to mash the potatoes until most of the lumps have broken down.
- A little at a time, stir in the milk and mix it into the potatoes until they become smooth.
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. When melted, add the mushrooms, garlic, 2 tablespoons milk, salt, black pepper, and thyme.
- Cook the mixture for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer the mixture to the mashed potatoes, and use the masher to mix and incorporate it into the potatoes.
- Serve warm, garnished with extra butter, if desired.
Serve these special spuds as part of a great meal!
More Meatless Monday recipes
Lentil and veggie shepherd’s pie
Chickpea and black lentil salad with feta
Roasted beet salad with tangerine-rosemary vinaigrette