You'll Go Bananas – And Nuts – For This Treat!
When you want just the right combo of flavors in one treat, you can't go wrong with banana, cocoa and nuts. Dive in to these decadent squares!
This recipe for frosted banana, hazelnut and cocoa squares is indulgent! You'll definitely need a glass of milk or a cup of tea to go along with the richness this dessert offers.
Bananas and nuts (and chocolate) are a pretty amazing combination, wouldn't you say? For this treat I added Nocciolata to the batter, and also used it as the main ingredient for the frosting. Yeah — double whammy!
Nocciolata is a spreadable hazelnut and cocoa cream made with all organic ingredients, and it's also gluten-free. The banana not only adds terrific flavor to these squares, but it helps to keep them moist, too. I don't think you could ask for a better flavor combo than what you'll find in these gluten-free goodies!
Gluten can be found in many different foods and products, from ketchup to soy sauce to candy and seasonings. While SheKnows.com tries to ensure these recipes are gluten-free, carefully read the ingredient labels of all food and food products you use for these recipes to ensure they are also gluten-free.
Frosted banana, hazelnut and cocoa squares
Yields 16 squares
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose gluten-free baking flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 bananas, blended or mashed until smooth
- 1/4 cup Nocciolata brand hazelnut spread, plus 3 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Splash milk
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly spray an 8 x 8-inch baking dish with the cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, blend together the flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, lightly beat the egg. Add the banana and 1/4 cup Nocciolata, and mix on low speed with a hand mixer until combined.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture, and use a wooden spoon to combine the two.
- Pour the batter into the baking dish and spread it out evenly.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
- As the cake cools, make the frosting. Add the Nocciolata spread to a small bowl. In a separate microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter.
- Add the melted butter to the Nocciolata, and add a splash of milk. Use a small whisk to mix the ingredients until smooth. If you want a thicker frosting, add a bit more Nocciolata, or more milk for a thinner frosting.
- When the cake is completely cool, use an offset spatula to run around the edges of the inside of the baking dish. Use two large spatulas to carefully lift the cake out of the dish and onto a cutting board.
- Use the offset spatula to frost the cake. Use a sharp knife and cut the cake into squares and serve.
While all of the content on SheKnows reflects the honest opinion of our writers, Nocciolata brand provided us with product for review.
More Gluten-free Goodie recipes
Fresh cranberry-orange muffins
Lemon-lavender shortbread cookies with lemon glaze
Peanutty caramel corn