This decadent version of french fries is covered in a creamy cheese sauce and topped off with sweet caramelized onions.
This isn't just any plate of fries. These are loaded with flavor. When I visit my favorite burger joint, they sell a similar version of this dish that I've recreated at home. I jazzed up plain fries by adding thousand island dressing, a rich and creamy cheese sauce and topped it off with delicious caramelized onions. Rather than using plain or raw onions, caramelized onions add a rich deep sweetness.
Smothered cheese fries with caramelized onions recipe
- 1 (22 ounce) bag frozen french fries
- 1 cup cheese sauce (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 cup thousand island dressing
- 1 cup finely diced caramelized onions (see note below)
- Chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the fries out evenly on the baking sheet and prepare as directed on the package.
- While the fries are baking, add the cheese sauce to a small pot and warm over medium heat. Once the fries are done slowly pour the warm cheese sauce over the fries.
- Spoon the thousand island dressing and caramelized onions on top and sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley. Best when served warm.
To make 1 cup caramelized onions, start with 3 cups of sliced raw onions. Over medium heat, cook the onions in 2 tablespoons of butter until the onions are a deep, dark brown color. This process can take up to 30 minutes. Remember to stir the onions frequently to prevent sticking and burning.
More french fry recipe ideas
Zesty baked zucchini fries
Taro fries with Siracha ketchup
Coconut sweet potato fries with tahini dip