Skin-On Mashed Potatoes And More
The heartiness of skin-on potatoes, the richness of browned butter and the rustic flavor of rosemary all in one.
Skin-on mashed potatoes taste smooth yet hearty. The skin adds a subtle texture that makes you keep coming back for more. Then there's the browned butter that's not only in the mashed potatoes but also drizzled on top. And last but not least, there are hints of rosemary in each bite. It's easy to fill up on these mashed potatoes first before eating anything else on the dinner plate.
Rosemary and browned butter mashed potatoes recipe
- 3 russet potatoes with the skin on (medium to large-size)
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Fill a large pot with water, leaving enough room to add the potatoes.
- Add the dried rosemary and bring the water to a boil.
- Add the potatoes to the boiling water and cook for about 25 minutes or until done (when a fork easily pokes through the potatoes).
- Just before the potatoes are done cooking, heat a small skillet on low to medium heat and add the butter.
- Continuously stir the butter until it starts to turn a golden brown color. Remove the skillet from the heat. Set aside for a moment.
- Drain the water out of the pot of potatoes and remove the dried rosemary leaves. It's OK to leave a few of them in the pan with the potatoes.
- Add the milk, salt, pepper, garlic powder and about 3/4 of the browned butter to the potatoes.
- Beat with a hand mixer, or use a potato masher to mash the potatoes to the desired consistency. If the mixture is too thick, more milk may be needed. Add just a little milk at a time while mashing the potatoes until the desired consistency is reached.
- Transfer to a serving dish and top with chopped fresh rosemary leaves. Drizzle on the remaining browned butter and garnish with small pieces of the rosemary sprigs. Serve while hot.
More mashed potatoes
Enjoy these delicious mashed potato recipes
More on potatoes
Chipotle mashed sweet potatoes
Mashed potatoes with Parmesan cheese topping
Sweet potato mash with caramelized onions