This recipe for cheesy butternut squash risotto includes added sweetness from the butternut squash. The Parmesan cheese balances the flavors and contributes to the creaminess of this elegant dish that's easy to make.
Cheesy butternut squash risotto recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped white onion
- 1 pound peeled and seeded butternut squash, cut into small cubes (about 2 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, more as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, more as needed
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 6 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped thyme
- Shaved Parmesan cheese as garnish (optional)
- Use a large saute pan with high sides. Place on medium heat. When hot, add the olive oil. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until they’re soft (about 5 minutes).
- Add the butternut squash and cook for approximately 5 minutes, or until it begins to soften.
- Add the garlic, salt, and black pepper, and cook for another minute or so.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring, for a minute. Pour in the white wine, and cook until the wine is absorbed.
- Add the vegetable broth and 1 cup of water. Cook the mixture, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes. Make sure to stir the risotto mixture often. You may need to add more water (the additional 1 cup) if the risotto begins to lose its moisture.
- If the liquid has been absorbed and the risotto has not cooked through, add a little more water (1/4-1/2 cup) and continue to cook. You may need to adjust the seasoning a bit.
- Use a potato masher to lightly mash the butternut squash pieces in the pan. Leave them mostly chunky.
- When the risotto is tender and creamy and the liquid has absorbed, stir in the Parmesan cheese and thyme. Mix well, then remove from the heat.
- Serve hot garnished with the shaved Parmesan cheese, if using.
This risotto dish is creamy, cheesy and great on a cold night!
More main dish recipes
Chicken and mushroom pies
Pumpkin pasta with kale and almonds
Sweet-n-spicy pan-glazed chicken