Festive Treats Make Great Holiday Gifts
These colorful holiday whoopie pies look like edible Christmas ornaments. And they taste as delicious as they are pretty.
Whether wrapped in cellophane, piled in a decorative tin or just sitting on a plate, these yummy little gems are great for holiday gifts. They're sturdy yet light and stack nicely on top of one another. The contrasting colors are a real eye-catcher, and the cream cheese frosting tastes so good with the chocolate and peppermint crunch.
Peppermint candy whoopie pies filled with cream cheese frosting recipe
Makes about 36 mini whoopie pies
For the chocolate cake
- 1 box (about 16.25 ounces) chocolate cake mix
- Egg, water and canola oil, according to the cake mix directions
- Nonstick cooking spray for mini whoopie pie cooking tin
For the cream cheese frosting filling*
- 1/3 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
*Depending on how much frosting is added to each whoopie pie, you may need to double this frosting recipe.
- 2 cups crushed peppermint candy
For the chocolate cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all of the ingredients for the chocolate cake and beat until creamy.
- Grease the whoopie pie pan with cooking spray.
- Add the cake batter to the whoopie pie pan and bake in a preheated oven for about 10 minutes or until done.
- Remove the chocolate cakes from the baking pan and let cool on a rack.
For the cream cheese frosting filling
- In a medium bowl, add the butter, cream cheese, vanilla extract and powdered sugar.
- Beat until light and creamy (about 3 to 4 minutes). Set aside for use after the mini cakes are cooled.
- Using a soft spatula, generously spread the frosting (about 1/2-inch thick) on the flat side of half of the mini chocolate cakes. Then top each one with the remaining chocolate cakes (flat side down) to form a sandwich.
- Use a small spoon to sprinkle the peppermint candy onto the cream cheese frosting filling.
More cream cheese frosting recipes
Dark chocolate brownies with orange cream cheese frosting recipe
Vegan cream cheese frosting recipe
Zucchini-almond cake with cream cheese frosting