Brussels sprouts don't have to just be a supper side dish. We added them to a homemade deep dish pizza and threw on a little crispy bacon to put this pizza over the top.
Brussels sprouts are no longer unloved. They are trendy, popular and not just a delicious side dish. This deep dish cast iron pizza is topped with a garlicky olive oil, shaved and sauteed Brussels sprouts and lots of crispy bacon.
Brussels sprouts and bacon deep dish pizza recipe
- 1 pound fresh pizza dough (can be found in a bakery or grocery store)
- 6 thick slices bacon, chopped
- 2 cups shaved Brussels sprouts
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cover the bottom of a 10-inch cast iron skillet with a thin layer of olive oil.
- Add dough to the skillet and cover the pan with kitchen towel.
- Let sit on the counter for a few hours until the dough is room temperature and has spread over the bottom of the pan.
- Using your fingertips make sure to spread the dough to the sides of the pan. Don't worry if it shrinks back a bit. It will spread out a bit while baking.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large skillet add bacon and fry till crispy. Remove bacon from pan and drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Remove all but 3 teaspoons of bacon grease.
- Add in shaved Brussels sprouts and saute until they just start to soften. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove pan from heat and add in bacon. Give a quick toss.
- Drizzle the pizza dough with a little bit of olive oil and sprinkle with minced garlic.
- Add on 1/2 cup of the cheese and top with Brussels sprouts and bacon mixture.
- Top with remaining 1/4 cup cheese and bake for about 18 minutes until the crust is browned and the cheese is melted.
- Remove pan from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes before you remove from the pan.
More pizza recipes
3 Unique pizza recipes
Kale and butternut squash pizza recipe
Fig jam, onion and goat cheese pizza recipe