Lots of chocolate and just hint of espresso are combined to create a perfect sugar rolled cookie. Just wait till you try these crunchy sweets.
Chocolate and coffee are a match made in heaven. These super-simple cookies are perfect on their own but even better when added to your whole holiday cookie spread.
Chocolate espresso snaps recipe
Slightly adapted from A Beautiful Bite
Yields about 40 cookies (depends on size)
- 1-1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup shortening, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and prepare baking sheets with Silpat or parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together both flours, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking soda and salt, set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer add butter, shortening, sugar and brown sugar. Mix together on medium speed until the mixture becomes fluffy.
- Mix in vanilla extract and then eggs one at a time until incorporated.
- Slowly add in flour mixture until incorporated.
- Scoop out dough into 2-inch balls and roll in remaining 1/4 cup sugar.
- Add to prepared baking sheet and bake for about 12 minutes until the cookie is slightly soft in the middle. This will result in a crispy edge but chewy center.
More cookie recipes
Nutella-covered brown sugar shortbread cookie recipe
Two-ingredient pumpkin cookie recipe
Reese's peanut butter cup cookie recipe