Gingerbread isn't just for cookies. This sweet gingerbread loaf cake is full of Christmas flavor and topped with a fluffy cream cheese frosting. Plus we chopped up lots of crystallized ginger to sprinkle on top. Who doesn't love ginger?
Spicy gingerbread loaf cake recipe
Yields 1 9 x 5-inch cake
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped crystalized ginger
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan, set aside.
- Add sugar and butter to the bowl of an electric mixer and mix until creamed.
- Add in egg, molasses and vanilla extract until fluffy and mixed well.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together white whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking soda, ground ginger, apple pie spice, ground clove and kosher salt.
- Slowly add in flour to butter mixture. Mix on low until incorporated.
- Add in warm water, mix and pour into cake pan.
- Bake for about 65 minutes until fully cooked and a toothpick comes out clean when tested.
- While the cake is cooling start making the frosting.
- In a bowl of an electric mixer, add cream cheese, unsalted butter and vanilla bean paste.
- Mix until combined and slowly add in powdered sugar until fluffy.
- If the frosting is too thin add a bit more powdered sugar, if it's too thick thin out with a little bit of milk.
- Remove cooled cake from pan and spread frosting onto loaf cake. Sprinkle with chopped crystallized ginger.
More gingerbread recipes
Gluten-free gingerbread cookie recipe
Copycat Starbucks gingerbread biscotti recipe
Gingerbread chocolate chip cookie recipe