Eating healthy in the new year doesn't have to mean giving up your beloved fries. Get your fry fix minus the guilt with these parsnip fries.
Parsnips have a far better use than in soups and stews. Try them as fries! Chop these underrated root vegetables up like a fry and bake them to crispy perfection. With a bit of Parmesan and fresh parsley on top, you'll never miss the potatoes.
Crispy Parmesan parsnip fries recipe
- 5 large parsnips, peeled and cut into "fries"
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Toss the parsnips with the olive oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Arrange the parsnips on the baking sheets in a single layer. Do not overlap. If you don't have 2 baking sheets, do it in 2 batches rather than piling them all onto 1 baking sheet. This is key to the crispiness.
- Bake for 20 minutes, remove from oven and flip over.
- Bake for another 10 minutes, remove from oven and sprinkle half of the Parmesan on top of the parsnips.
- Return to oven for 1 minute until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven, let cool 2-3 minutes and then sprinkle the remaining cheese and chopped parsley on top. Serve immediately.
More parsnip recipes
Celery root and parsnip puree
Mom's mashed parsnips and carrots