Jalapeño popper-stuffed soft pretzels recipe
- 1-1/2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Canola oil
- 8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 jalapeño, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Scant 2/3 cup baking soda
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water
Optional for topping
- Granulated garlic
- Granulated onion
- Poppy seeds
- In an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine water, sugar and kosher salt. Sprinkle yeast over the mixture. Let set for 5 minutes until foamy. Add in flour and melted butter.
- Mix the dough on low speed until combined. Increase the speed to medium and mix for 5-7 minutes until dough becomes smooth and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Grease a large bowl with canola oil. Place dough in the bottom of the bowl and coat with oil. Cover with a towel and place in a warm place. Let rise for 1 hour.
- While the dough rises, make the filling. In a food processor, combine 6 ounces cheddar cheese, cream cheese, jalapeño and garlic powder. Pulse until combined and jalapeños are more finely chopped.
- Once the dough has risen, cut into 8 equal pieces. Roll each piece of dough into an 18-inch rope. Flatten rope with a rolling pin so that it becomes a very long rectangle. Spread 1 tablespoon of filling along the middle of each rectangle. Fold back over and pinch to seal, roll back into a rope. Shape into pretzels.
- Place pretzels in the freezer for 5 minutes to firm up the cheese filling.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Bring a large stockpot full of water to a rolling boil. Add baking soda. Place pretzels one at a time in the water and baking soda mixture. Cook for 45 seconds, flipping halfway through.
- Transfer pretzels to a greased baking sheet. Brush pretzels with egg mixture and then sprinkle with desired topping and remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake until golden brown, about 12-15 minutes.
More Daily Flavor
Roasted shrimp with chipotle aioli
Blue cheese-stuffed turkey sausage meatballs
Skinny shrimp-stuffed jalapeño poppers