You might be surprised by all the foods you can prepare in a waffle iron. In fact, cooking in a waffle iron is both fast (both in cook time and because it takes less time to preheat than the oven) and yields optimally hot and crispy results. Look for a unit with non-stick plates and a removable drip tray, like this BELLA rotating waffle maker, and clean-up is quick and easy, too.
The following five recipes are tried-and-true uses for the waffle maker that let you use this handy device any time of the day.
Waffle maker cinnamon buns
Makes 5-8 waffles
They cook in just two minutes and the waffle pattern makes perfect nooks to catch the icing.
- 1 package refrigerated cinnamon buns
- 1/2 cup each powdered sugar and milk, for icing if not included
- Preheat the waffle iron to medium. Add as many cinnamon buns as will fit and cook, closed, until heated through and beginning to brown (about 2 minutes).
- If the cinnamon buns did not include icing, make some by adding the powdered sugar to a small bowl and stirring in milk until the desired consistency is reached. Serve the cinnamon buns warm, drizzled with icing.
Waffled peanut butter and jelly
As far as sandwiches go, grilled cheese was always my go-to in the waffle maker until Ashley over at Edible Perspective waffled a PB&J. Something about toasty bread with warm, gooey peanut butter and jelly is so satisfying.
- 2 slices sandwich bread
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons jelly
- Preheat the waffle iron to medium. Spread the peanut butter on one slice of bread and the jelly on the other half.
- Sandwich the slices together and cook in the closed waffle maker until the bread is golden and crispy.
Waffled poblano and cheese quesadilla
My favorite quesadilla, brought to the table even faster via the waffle iron. The tortilla comes out with a satisfying crunch and the cheese is perfectly melted.
- 1 poblano pepper
- 2 corn tortillas
- 1/2 tablespoon butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat the broiler. Wash and dry the pepper and place it under the broiler on a cookie sheet. Blacken the skin, turning with tongs to cook all sides of the pepper. Once fully blackened, move the pepper to a small bowl and cover it with plastic wrap. After five minutes, remove the plastic wrap and gently rub off the skin. Use a paring knife to cut the pepper in half, and remove the stem and seeds.
- Spread half the butter on one side of each of the tortillas. On the non-buttered side of one tortilla, sprinkle half the cheese, layer on the roasted pepper, and then sprinkle the remaining cheese. Place the non-buttered side of the second tortilla on top.
- Preheat the waffle iron to medium. Add the tortilla sandwich, close, and cook until the cheese has melted and the tortillas are golden (3 to 5 minutes). Serve warm.
Makes about 8 waffles
This definitely falls in the dessert category, although you could serve it as a special birthday breakfast.
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix, plus any ingredients required according to the packaging
- Frosting or Greek yogurt
- Preheat the waffle iron to medium. Make the cake batter according to the directions on the packaging. Move the batter to a large cup with a spout to more easily pour it into the waffle maker.
- Pour just enough batter to fill the waffle maker — it's likely less than you think and may take a couple tries to figure out the right amount for your waffle maker. Close and cook until the cake is cooked through. Repeat until all the batter is cooked. Let the waffles cool completely.
- Layer the waffles, spreading frosting or Greek yogurt between each. Alternately, serve individual waffles with a single layer or frosting or yogurt. Sprinkles optional!
Waffle maker tater tots
Makes 1 waffle
Tater tots prepared in a waffle maker come out especially crispy and are ready in less than half the time as in the oven.
- 1 bag frozen prepared tater tots
- Ketchup, for serving
- Preheat the waffle maker to medium-high. Place as many tater tots as will fit on the waffle maker and close, pressing down as needed, and cook until heated through and golden-brown on the outside (5 to 7 minutes).
- Serve warm with ketchup.
More fun ways to use a waffle maker
8 Ways to make waffle sandwiches
Waffle recipes for every meal
Funfetti cake waffles