Southwest chicken salad with healthy avocado buttermilk dressing recipe
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium-size chicken breasts (about 1 pound)
- Canola oil
- 2 romaine hearts, chopped (about 5-6 ounces)
- 1 jalapeño, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 3 tablespoons roughly chopped cilantro
- 2 cups corn
- 2 cups canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- Avocado buttermilk dressing (see recipe below)
- Chili croutons (see recipe below)
- In a small bowl, combine chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, oregano, cayenne pepper and salt.
- Cut chicken breasts in half lengthwise to make four pieces. Sprinkle chicken evenly on both sides with seasoning.
- Heat a drizzle of canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chicken until cooked through and slightly blackened, about 5 minutes per side. Let set for a few minutes. Slice into strips.
- Pile lettuce onto a serving platter. Sprinkle jalapeño, cheese, tomato, cilantro, corn and black beans on top. Add sliced chicken breasts, then drizzle with dressing and top with croutons.
Avocado buttermilk dressing recipe
- 1-1/2 cups diced avocado (about 2 small avocados)
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Black pepper, to taste
- Place all ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. Add more buttermilk, as needed, if the dressing is too thick. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Chili croutons recipe
- 2-1/2 cups cubed day-old bread
- 1-1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, toss bread with oil, salt, garlic powder and chili powder. Spread on to a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake for 5-8 minutes until crisp and lightly brown. (If you use fresh bread, they will need to be cooked longer.)
More Daily Flavor
Creamy chicken and wild rice soup
Asian-style chicken nuggets
Skinny creamy chicken enchiladas