You will flip over this Meatless Monday recipe, whether you're serving up breakfast or breakfast-for-dinner!
Start your day off right with this Meatless Monday recipe for banana-buttermilk and flaxseed pancakes. They make a hearty and scrumptious breakfast, or dinner if you want to pull a breakfast-for-dinner switcheroo! Not only are these pancakes delicious, but they're good for you too, thanks to the added flaxseed meal.
Flaxseeds are rich in omega-3 fatty acids ("good" fats with hearty-healthy benefits), fiber and have been shown to help fight heart disease, diabetes and some cancers. Flaxseed meal is great because you can add it to so many foods, particularly when you bake or make things like pancakes!
Banana-buttermilk and flaxseed pancakes recipe
Yield 6 (4 inch) pancakes
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 bananas
- 1 egg, separated
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Butter for cooking pancakes
- Add the flour, flaxseed meal, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt to a large bowl. Mix to combine. Set aside.
- Add 1 banana to a small food processor and blend until smooth. You could also use a potato masher or fork to mash the banana. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the egg yolk, buttermilk, vegetable oil and mashed banana. Mix well.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture, and stir until combined.
- Beat the egg white until it's frothy, then fold it into the batter.
- Slice the remaining banana into 1/2-inch-thick pieces and set aside.
- Add a teaspoon of butter to a large skillet over medium-low heat. When hot, use a spoon to transfer the batter to the skillet, forming 2, 4-inch circles. Cook for a minute or so, then press 3-4 banana pieces into the batter. When bubbles begin to form on the surface of the pancake, flip it and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until the bottom is golden. Remove and keep warm.
- Continue until you have used all the batter, adding a bit more butter between batches, as needed.
- Serve immediately.
You'll go bananas over this Meatless Monday recipe!
More Meatless Monday recipes
Veggie club sandwiches with garlic-avocado spread
Veggie ramen burger with spicy mayo
Grilled mushroom and potato kebabs with rosemary marinade