Moist Cornbread With Sweet Potatoes
If you're looking for the perfect gluten-free cornbread to grace your holiday table, look no further! This sweet potato cornbread bakes up just right in a cast iron skillet or make it in a square pan and cube it for Thanksgiving stuffing!
Cornbread is such a wonderful go-to for so many meals this time of year. It's the perfect companion to a big, hot bowl of homemade chili, and it goes beautifully with every type of soup imaginable! This gluten-free cornbread is extra special, since it is made with mashed, roasted sweet potatoes. The end result is not only incredibly moist but has a special depth of flavor — not to mention the extra nutrition that sweet potatoes always bring to the table.
This is the cornbread that I like to serve at Thanksgiving, since it frees me of any obligation to serve sweet potatoes with marshmallows! If you have a 12-inch cast iron skillet, baking it in there will create a nice, thick crust. But if you don't have any cast iron cookware, it bakes up beautifully in a square pan, too.
Gluten-free sweet potato cornbread recipe
Yields 1 cornbread
- 1 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour (use your favorite blend, or my go-to blend: 5 tablespoons superfine white rice flour plus 3-1/2 tablespoons potato starch plus 2-1/4 tablespoons tapioca flour/starch)
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 cup coarsely ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 large eggs at room temperature, beaten
- 1/2 cup plain whole milk yogurt, at room temperature
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups mashed roasted sweet potatoes, skins removed (from about 2 large potatoes)
To roast sweet potatoes, wash them, pierce with the tines of a fork and place on a foil-lined baking sheet in a 400 degree F oven until the flesh is soft and has begun to shrink from the skin, about 30 minutes (depending upon size).
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Grease well a 12-inch cast iron skillet (or a 9-inch square baking pan), and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, place the flour, xanthan gum, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and sugar, and whisk to combine well. Add the honey, eggs, yogurt and butter, mixing well to combine after each addition. Add the mashed sweet potatoes, and mix to combine well. The batter will be quite thick.
- Scrape the mixture into the prepared skillet or pan and smooth the top with a wet spatula. Place in the center of the preheated oven and bake, rotating once, until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (about 40 minutes). You may have to bake the cornbread a few minutes more if you are baking in a square pan, or a few minutes less in the cast iron skillet.
- Allow the cornbread to cool slightly, then slice into wedges or squares and serve warm.
More gluten-free recipes
Gluten-free peanut butter chocolate chip blondie bars
Gluten-free apple cider muffins
Mini gluten-free apple crisps