Macaroni and cheese is every kid's favorite dish. We took all that delicious flavor and made it even healthier. We stirred in pureed butternut squash and added just a touch of nutmeg. This pasta dish is warm, comforting and perfect for a cold winter day.
Butternut squash mac 'n' cheese with bacon and caramelized onions recipe
Adapted from Ellie Krieger
Yields 9 x 13-inch pan
- 16 ounces small shell pasta
- 2 (10 ounce) packages pureed and cooked butternut squash, thawed
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup crumbled crispy cooked bacon
- 1/2 cup caramelized onions
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and spray a 9 x 13-inch dish with nonstick spray, set aside.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add in pasta and cook till al dente, following box directions.
- In a large skillet, add thawed squash and milk and cook till heated through.
- Stir in cheddar cheese, ricotta, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Once the cheese is melted and combined, stir in pasta, bacon and onions.
- Add to the prepared pan and sprinkle with more cheese if desired.
- Bake for 20 minutes until heated throughout.
More macaroni and cheese recipes
Philly cheesesteak mac and cheese recipe
Spicy jalapeño mac and cheese recipe
Four-cheese mac and cheese cups recipe