Nothing is better than popping a few fresh doughnut holes into your mouth on a cold winter morning. These scrumptious pumpkin doughnut bites are packed with pumpkin pie spice and smothered with a spiced up vanilla glaze.
Homemade fried pumpkin doughnut drops
Slightly adapted from Taste of Home
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup powdered milk
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup lemon-lime soda
- Vegetable oil
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, add eggs, sugar and butter. Beat until combined.
- Add in pumpkin puree, vinegar and vanilla bean paste and mix to combine.
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk together both flours, powdered milk, baking soda and pumpkin pie spice.
- With your mixer on low, alternately add flour mixture and soda to wet mixture.
- Heat 3 inches of oil to 375 degrees F in a high-sided frying pan.
- Drop a few doughnuts into the hot oil, flip over when one side is browned and cook until the other side is golden brown.
- Roll in cinnamon sugar or glaze while doughnuts are still warm.
Pumpkin pie spice glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- Whisk together and glaze over doughnut holes.
Note: If your glaze is too thin, simply add more powdered sugar. If it's too thick, then add more milk.
More doughnut recipes
Orange cranberry donut recipe
Sweet potato baked doughnut recipe
Boozy maple bacon doughnut milkshake recipe