Enjoy Pasta With A Creamy Sauce!
In the land of pasta sauce, you might not think "creamy" and "vegan" go together. This dish proves otherwise!
This Italian-inspired recipe for vegan penne alla vodka delivers a creamy pasta dish that is a delight thanks to fresh flavors and the richness of the sauce. Added seasonings like vodka and red pepper flakes help to develop the rich, pink-colored pasta dish that stands out from the crowd of red sauces and white creamy sauces.
Vegan penne alla vodka recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced white onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, diced, seeds removed
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus extra for cooking the pasta
- 1/3 cup vodka
- 1/2 cup plain soy milk
- 1/3 cup vegan Parmesan-style cheese, plus extra for garnish
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter-style spread
- 8 ounces whole-wheat penne pasta
- Add the olive oil to a large pot over medium heat. When hot, add the onions and cook for 3-4 minutes or until they begin to soften.
- Add the garlic and tomato paste, and cook for a few minutes, until the tomato paste thins out.
- Add the diced tomatoes to the mixture along with the red pepper flakes, black pepper and salt. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring.
- Increase the heat slightly and slowly add the vodka to the mixture. Cook, stirring, for 4-5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and slowly whisk in the soy milk, vegan Parmesan-style cheese and vegan butter-style spread.
- While the sauce is cooking, bring a pan of salted water (enough to cover the pasta) to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to the package directions, or until done. Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water, then drain the pasta and return it to the pan.
- Add the pasta to the vodka sauce and stir to combine.
- If you would like a thinner sauce, add a bit of the pasta water, a little at a time, to the mixture and stir well.
- Serve on individual plates with additional vegan Parmesan-style cheese as garnish.
Discover the delight that is vegan penne alla vodka!
More vegan recipes
Tofu "egg" salad
Grilled vegetables with lemon-basil aioli
Vegan shiitake bacon