You can't have Thanksgiving without pie, right? To get you into the holiday spirit, we're sharing two of our favorite pie recipes and a how-to on making a beautiful braided crust to impress your friends and family!
This beautiful braided pie crust will instantly take your pies from normal to extraordinary. And contrary to what you may think, it's actually easier than you think to perfect this crust! In addition to a beautiful crust addition, we're sharing two of our favorite pies, bourbon pumpkin and raspberry, to make your holiday prep just a bit easier!
Braided pie crust recipe
Makes 2 crusts
- 2 packages pie crust, refrigerated
Slice the crust vertically into thin slices
Roll one crust out on a chilled marble slab and cut into thin slices, about 1/2 inch thick.
Take three thin slices of crust and braid. Repeat until you have a long braided crust.
Line pie plate and add braided crust
Using the second crust, line a pie plate. Carefully place the braided crust additions on the rim of the crust. To attach, carefully squish the ends together on top of the crust. Repeat to make another pie crust.
Bourbon pumpkin pie recipe
Serves about 8
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 10-1/2 ounces evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons bourbon or spiced rum
- Pie crust with braided accent
- Egg wash (egg white and water mixed)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk the sugar, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, evaporated milk, rum and eggs until fully combined. Carefully pour the mixture into the prepared crust with the braided pie accent. Brush with egg wash (so the crust gets golden brown).
- Bake for 15 minutes. Then, reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake another 45-50 minutes, or until the middle is set.
- Serve with fresh whipped cream or garnish with cinnamon sticks.
Raspberry, blueberry and pear pie recipe
Serves about 8
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup chopped pears
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 braided pie crust
- Extra crust for heart accents
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- To make the filling, carefully mix together raspberries, blueberries, pear, lemon juice, cornstarch, sugar, salt and vanilla. Let sit for about 10 minutes.
- Pour mixture into the prepared crust. Add the butter and stir.
- Using the remainder of your pie crust dough, stamp out heart shapes. Place the hearts on top of the filling.
- Brush the crust with egg yolk mixture (the braided parts and the hearts). Bake for about 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
More pie recipes
Caramel apple pie
Apple rhubarb pie
Lunchbox apple pie