No boring mashed potatoes here! These babies are packed with flavor by using bacon and caramelized onions. Talk about flavor!
Mashed potatoes are a classic Thanksgiving side dish. Now we would never be one to turn down a classic bowl of buttered potatoes, but we decided to jazz it up just a bit. We topped our mashed potatoes with caramelized onions and lots of crispy bacon. How can you go wrong with onions and bacon?
Mashed potatoes with caramelized onions and bacon recipe
- 1-1/4 pounds baby red skin potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup whole milk, warmed
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup caramelized onions
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- In a large pot add potatoes and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook until they are fork tender but not falling apart.
- Drain potatoes once they are fully cooked.
- In the same pot, add the drained potatoes and start mashing with a hand masher. Add in salt, milk and butter and mash. Once you reach your desired consistency start stirring to make the potatoes smooth.
- Stir in onions and bacon.
- Serve warm.
Don't know how to make caramelized onions? Peel and cut 2 large onions in half. Thinly slice and cook in 2-3 tablespoons butter (about 40 minutes) on low until soft and lightly browned and golden in color. Season with salt and pepper.
More potato recipes
Grilled sweet potato salad recipe
Loaded baked potato rounds recipe
Salt and vinegar sweet potato chip recipe