Don't think you have time for tender, mouthwatering pork stew after a busy day? Use a pressure cooker to get dinner on the table in no time.
Slow cookers are great, but they require advance planning. Get the same amazingly tender meat in a fraction of the time by using a pressure cooker. We used Calphalon's 6-quart pressure cooker to whip up this spicy pork and hominy stew in about 45 minutes, making it the perfect option for a hectic weeknight.
Pressure cooker pork and hominy stew recipe
- 1-1/4 pounds pork shoulder, cubed into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped yellow onion
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon pureed chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 3-1/4 cups (2 cans) low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 (29 ounce) can hominy, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- Chopped cilantro
- Sliced jalapeños
- Season pork liberally with salt. In the pot of a pressure cooker, heat olive oil over high heat. Brown pork quickly on all sides.
- Add onion, garlic, chipotle in adobo sauce, cumin, oregano and 2 cups chicken broth. Attach pressure cooker lid and turn the dial to high pressure. Once the pressure indicator pops up, lower heat to medium-low and cook for 13 minutes.
- When done, remove pressure cooker from heat and let pressure reduce until the pressure indicator goes back down, then remove the lid.
- Add the remaining 1-1/4 cups chicken broth, hominy and diced tomatoes with juice. Stir and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, until hominy is tender.
- Serve with chopped cilantro and sliced jalapenos.
While all of the content on SheKnows reflects the honest opinion of our writers, Calphalon brand provided us with product for review.
More stew recipes
Hearty beef stew
Bratwurst and chicken stew
Hearty vegetable chowder