The Perfect Holiday Breakfast
If there's a time to be decadent, it's the holidays, and this breakfast fits the bill.
If you've never tried marscapone you're in for a treat! It's creamy and decadent like cream cheese but a lot lighter in taste. Stuffed between French bread slices with cranberries and orange zest, this is the perfect holiday meal to wake up to.
Marscapone-stuffed French toast with cranberries recipe
- 16 (1/2 inch) slices of a French baguette (about 2/3 of a loaf)
- 6 ounces marscapone cheese
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Zest of 1/2 orange
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cranberries
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- In an 8 x 8-inch baking dish, arrange 8 slices of the bread so that they cover the entire bottom of the dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together the marscapone, sugar, orange zest, cinnamon and salt. You can do this by hand or with a hand-held mixer.
- Spread the marscapone mixture evenly all over the tops of the bread in the baking dish, then sprinkle cranberries on top.
- Place the remaining 8 slices of bread on top.
- In another small bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk and pour over the top of the bread in the baking dish fully saturating each piece.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, heat the oven to 375 degrees F and bake for 45 minutes until the bread has turned a nice golden brown and is crispy on the top.
- Serve with maple syrup and additional fresh cranberries and/or nuts.
More French toast recipes
Challah French toast with warm apples and cinnamon crumble
Baked brioche French toast
Whole-wheat French toast sticks