This one-skillet dish is perfect when you’re craving comfort food. For a satisfying Sunday dinner, serve up this tasty classic.
What could be more comforting than chili and cornbread? For Sunday dinner, serve up this recipe for skillet chili pie to bring these two classics together. The added green chilies mixed into the cornbread kick things up a notch. Cooking with a cast iron skillet is convenient and makes it easy to combine all the great flavors of this dish.
Skillet chili pie recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney or black beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes in juice, drained
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/3 cup corn kernels
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Dash hot sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) box cornbread mix
- 2 ounces diced green chilies
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a cast iron skillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef, stirring and breaking it up with a spoon, until it's no longer pink, about 6-8 minutes. Drain off any excess oil and return the beef to the skillet.
- Add the beans and the beef and mix to combine. Next add the tomatoes and mix to combine. Add the onion, corn, garlic and seasonings up through the hot sauce. Mix well and cook for several minutes.
- Prepare the cornbread according to the instructions on the box. Mix in the diced green chilies.
- Remove the skillet from the heat. Add the cornbread mixture to the top of the ground beef mixture, spreading it out evenly with a spoon.
- Place the skillet in the oven and cook for about 15 minutes, or until the cornbread turns golden.
- Carefully remove from the oven and allow the pie to rest for about 5 minutes.
- Serve warm on individual plates.
Create a comforting dish with a cast iron skillet!
More Sunday dinner recipes
Chicken tortilla pie
Pulled chicken sandwiches
Creamy shrimp pasta primavera