Who says peas have to be boring? Jazz 'em up by making them au gratin style. Del Monte's got you covered by making this recipe a snap to prepare.
Sweet peas au gratin
Adapted from Epicurious.com
- 1 cup minced onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 (15 ounce) cans Del Monte® Sweet Peas, well drained
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 cup (4 ounces) sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 Tbsp of Dijon mustard, for extra flavor
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sauté them until they are translucent, for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir constantly for 1 minute.
- Slowly stir in the milk and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 4 to 6 minutes or until the mixture is thickened, stirring frequently. Stir in cheese until melted. Add Dijon mustard for flavor.
- Add the peas and stir well to combine.
- Pour the pea mixture into a greased 8x8-inch glass baking dish. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs, then top with cheese.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the sauce along dish edges are bubbly and breadcrumbs are lightly browned. Let stand 5 minutes before serving for sauce to thicken.
More recipes with peas
Creamy pasta with spinach and peas
Chilled pea soup
Pea pesto over gnocchi