These sweet peas are served in a creamy sauce with a crunchy bread crumb topping and melted cheese. It's a perfect way to dress up your sweet peas!
Who says peas have to be boring? Jazz 'em up by making them au gratin style. Del Monte's got you covered by making this recipe a snap to prepare.
Sweet peas au gratin
Adapted from Epicurious.com
- 1 cup minced onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 (15 ounce) cans Del Monte® Sweet Peas, well drained
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 cup (4 ounces) sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 Tbsp of Dijon mustard, for extra flavor
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sauté them until they are translucent, for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir constantly for 1 minute.
- Slowly stir in the milk and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 4 to 6 minutes or until the mixture is thickened, stirring frequently. Stir in cheese until melted. Add Dijon mustard for flavor.
- Add the peas and stir well to combine.
- Pour the pea mixture into a greased 8x8-inch glass baking dish. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs, then top with cheese.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the sauce along dish edges are bubbly and breadcrumbs are lightly browned. Let stand 5 minutes before serving for sauce to thicken.
More recipes with peas
Creamy pasta with spinach and peas
Chilled pea soup
Pea pesto over gnocchi