Want a fun twist on pumpkin pie? These empanadas are filled with a spiced pumpkin filling and baked until golden brown. They are perfect little holiday desserts.
When we think of pumpkin, we always think of pumpkin pie. While pie is delicious and very popular during the holidays, we wanted to get creative with our pumpkin dessert. Here we share a recipe for easy pumpkin empanadas. These have all the things we love about pumpkin pie, but stuffed inside a flaky pie crust and baked until golden brown.
Delicious pumpkin empanadas recipe
Adapted from allrecipes
- 2 store-bought pie crusts (found in the refrigerated section)
- 4 cups canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup brown sugar or 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Unroll the pie crust, and using a large glass or cutter, cut a total of 8 circles (4 from each pie crust).
- In a mixing bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients except for the egg. Using a hand mixer, mix the pumpkin filling until it's smooth and there are no lumps.
- With a spoon, place a heaping spoonful of the pumpkin filling in the center of each dough circle (be careful to not overfill). Fold the dough over, creating a half-moon shape, and gently crimp the edges with a fork to prevent the filling from leaking out.
- Brush the tops of the empanadas with the beaten egg and bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the empanadas are a golden-brown color. Remove them from the oven and allow them to completely cool before serving.
More pumpkin recipes
Homemade pumpkin butter
Pumpkin hot chocolate
No-bake pumpkin brulee