Fresh cranberries are blended with flavors of citrus, sweet strawberries and wine to create this boozy version of the typical holiday cranberry sauce.
Cranberry sauce is one dish that almost everyone displays on their holiday table. This year, spruce up the basic sauce with this sangria cranberry sauce. Fresh cranberries can be found almost anywhere this time of year, so we recommend using fresh ones. The citrus juices and zest give a wonderful, tangy hit to the already sweet sauce, while the wine adds depth. This sangria version of cranberry sauce will be your new go-to recipe for the holiday season.
Sangria cranberry sauce recipe
Yields about 4-1/2 cups
- 1 (12 ounce) bag fresh cranberries
- 1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries (if using frozen, thaw)
- 1 large orange, juiced and zested
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- 1 cup wine (we used a Moscato wine, which is sweet)
- 1/4 cup agave, honey or sugar
- Extra citrus zest for garnish (optional)
- In a medium-size pot over medium-high heat, add the cranberries, strawberries, wine and agave (or other sweetener). Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes or until thickened.
- Once the sauce has thickened, stir in the juices and the zest from the citrus fruits. Pour the sauce into a bowl and cover with a lid. Allow the sauce to chill for several hours or overnight for best flavor.
- When ready to serve, spoon the sauce into a decorative bowl and garnish with additional citrus zest if desired.
More holiday-inspired recipes
6 Simple side dishes for your next holiday meal
Sausage and cornbread-stuffed acorn squash
3 Savory pumpkin recipes