A Caramel Twist On A Classic
Tart apples, brown sugar and caramel are the base filling in this delicious pie. Baked up golden brown, this pie will be a hit at your holiday gathering.
In this apple pie recipe, we added depth and richness by incorporating caramel into the apple pie filling. You can easily use homemade caramel but jarred caramel is perfectly fine in this pie. Enjoy a slice of this dessert plain or go all the way and serve it a la mode with a scoop of French vanilla ice cream.
Caramel apple pie recipe
Adapted from allrecipes
- 2 (9 inch) pie shells
- 5 Granny Smith apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup homemade or jarred caramel
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch pie pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, add the apples, 2 tablespoons of flour and brown sugar, tossing well.
- Unfold the pie crust and gently press one into the pie pan covering the bottom and sides. Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of flour over the bottom of the pie crust and pour in the apple mixture spreading the apples evenly in the pie pan.
- Pour the caramel sauce over the tops of the apples and top with remaining pie crust. Fold the crust over the edges and press firmly with fingers to create a seal. With a fork, poke a few holes in the top of the pie to help steam escape while baking.
- Bake the pie for about 45 minutes or until the top of the pie is a rich golden brown. Allow to cool and serve.
More apple pie recipes
Bacon apple pie
Upside down Southern apple pie
Apple pie cookies with salted caramel glaze