German chocolate cake frosting truffles recipe
- 1/2 cup farro
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon Earth Balance
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 tablespoons raw agave syrup
- 3/4 cup canned coconut milk
- 2 rounded teaspoons cornstarch, whisked with 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 tablespoons liquid lecithin (optional)
- 2 cups vegan chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Rinse the farro in a fine mesh strainer under cold water. In a medium-size saucepan over high heat, combine the farro and water. When boiling, reduce to a simmer for about 25 minutes. After 25 minutes, test the farro. It should be firm to the bite. Drain and rinse under cold water and transfer to a bowl.
- Add the Earth Balance, salt, shredded coconut and agave syrup to the farro.
- In a small saucepan, heat the coconut milk to a simmer, then add the cornstarch mixture. Stir until slightly thick, then transfer and fold into the farro mixture. Add the liquid lecithin, if using, stir again, then place farro mixture in the freezer to chill for about 1 hour.
- Remove the mixture from the freezer. It should be cold but still pliable. To form the truffles, scoop out a heaping teaspoon of the mixture. Roll into a ball between your palms, then place on a Silpat-lined baking sheet. Repeat. Place baking sheet in the freezer to set for 1-2 hours.
- When ready to coat the truffles, create a double boiler by placing a few inches of water into a saucepan. Place a glass bowl over the saucepan, making sure the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl.
- Place the chocolate chips into the bowl and stir slowly, allowing them to melt. Once the chocolate is fully melted, add the vanilla and stir again. Reduce the heat to its lowest setting.
- Toss a few truffles into the melted chocolate. Rotate with a spoon until well coated, then transfer them back onto the lined baking sheet. Repeat.
- Place truffles in the refrigerator to chill. After about 1 hour, the truffles can be removed from the baking sheet and transferred into a sealed container.
- Store in the refrigerator. Allow the truffles to sit out at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before serving.
More Daily Flavor
Vegan cherry chocolate ice cream
Vegan coconut ice cream
Vegan chocolate-covered habanero peanut brittle