Vegan doughnuts with cardamom-pistachio glaze recipe
Adapted from Food Network
Makes about 16
For the doughnuts
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 2-1/4 teaspoons active yeast
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 2 teaspoons Ener-G
- 1-1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- Vegetable or canola oil, for frying
For the glaze
- 2-3 tablespoons almond milk
- 3/4-1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 cup pistachios, ground into a fine powder
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, heat the almond milk. Add the shortening and stir until well blended. Pour mixture into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- Combine the yeast with the warm water and let sit for about 10 minutes. Make sure that the almond milk mixture is lukewarm, then add in the yeast mixture. Add the Ener-G, sugar and salt and beat slowly.
- With the mixer running, add half of the flour, scraping down the sides of the bowl, as needed. Increase the speed slightly until smooth, about 1 minute. Add in the rest of the flour, beating until well blended, about 1 minute more.
- The dough should be smooth and should start to pull away from the bowl while the mixer is running. If it is still slightly sticky, add a few more tablespoons of flour until a good consistency is reached.
- Change the flat beater to the dough hook attachment and continue to mix the dough on medium to medium-low speed until the dough is very silky and smooth, about 4 minutes. Remove from the bowl, shape into a ball, and place in a slightly greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let it rise for about an hour.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out half the dough into a round shape. It should be about the thickness of a pancake.
- Using a biscuit cutter, cut out circular shapes, then use a smaller cutter to cut the hole into the center. (Any leftover dough can be kneaded again with the remaining dough.) Repeat with remaining half of the dough.
- Place the doughnut circles on a greased cookie sheet and cover with plastic wrap to rise for 30 more minutes.
- When you are ready to fry, heat several inches of oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. The oil is ready when you insert a wooden spoon into the oil and bubbles immediately form around the spoon.
- Drop a doughnut into the oil and fry for about 30-45 seconds. Using a skimmer, flip it over and fry for 30 seconds more. Remove with the skimmer and place on a cooling rack. Repeat until all of the doughnuts have been fried.
- While the doughnuts are cooling, make the glaze. Heat the almond milk in a small saucepan and whisk in half the powdered sugar until combined, then whisk in the rest. Remove from the heat and add in the almond extract and cardamom.
- Glaze the doughnuts by dipping them face down in the saucepan and twirling slightly. While the glaze is still wet, sprinkle with some of the powdered pistachios.
Store leftover doughnuts in a sealed plastic container and reheat in the microwave for about 7 seconds.
More Daily Flavor
Vegan cherry chocolate ice cream
Vegan coconut ice cream
Vegan chocolate-covered habanero peanut brittle